Leadership is an important topic for many reasons and we will explore many of those reasons as well as study the key concepts of leadership. This course offers a special focus on ethical leadership, servant leadership and team leadership.
Through readings, work sessions, case studies, assignment projects etc. students will explore and develop their knowledge and understanding of effective leadership. In addition, the course will emphasize how effective leadership is achieved and how one can analyze and assess effective leadership.
The main purpose of this course is to explore the subject of leadership and give students the opportunity to develop knowledge, skills and competences in relations to effective leadership.
After finishing the class students should possess knowledge of effective leadership. This entails that students:
· Learn the key elements of course subjects, such as: Ethical leadership, servant leadership, team leadership, authentic leadership and more.
· Learn about key theories of leadership such as: Trait theory, transformational theory, LMX theory and the situational approach.
After finishing the class students should be able to apply the methods and procedures of effective leadership. This entails that students:
· Recognize the importance of ethical leadership and how it can help leaders to succeed
· Understand the differences between leaders and managers and what it means in terms of achieving effective leadership
· Be able to recognize how to contribute in a teamwork.
After finishing the class students should be able to apply their knowledge and skills in a practical way in relation to effective leadership and further studies. This entails that students:
· Understand team leadership and its application in practice
· Be able to interpret, analyze, evaluate and explain key elements of course subjects
· Be able to recognize effective leadership and criticize bad leadership
· Be able to explain how course subjects can be applied in the real world
· Be able to evaluate and determine appropriate leadership depending on different situations
Assignments total 50%
· First assignment (individual assignment): 10%
· Second assignment (Team assignment): 20%
· Third assignment (Team assignment): 20%